May 18, 2023
NorCal Monthly Market Insights Report: May 2023
Over the past 40 years alone, the San Francisco Bay Area has seen 4 major upcycles or housing booms. In each, there have been enthusiasts who argued that this time the boom times would never end – but each ended, typically after hitting a final peak of what economists call “irrational exuberance.” Upcycles were followed by market corrections or down-cycles, during which many predicted (often gleefully) that the Bay Area was on an endless downward spiral – but recoveries followed. Housing and financial markets have always run in cycles, both economic and psychological, but, so far, since the days of the Gold Rush, despite all its booms and busts, the Bay Area has always rebounded once more.
The Bay Area is one of the world’s great metropolitan areas – as a financial and cultural center; in the spectacular beauty of its setting and surrounding open space; as a hothouse of innovation; in its diversity, openness and opportunity – and despite its current round of challenges, we expect it will continue to be so for a long time to come.
Click the links below to access monthly market updates by Bay Area region.
- SF Bay Area Luxury Market Report: $5 Million+
- National Market Report
- Bay Area Home Price Maps
- Bay Area Luxury Market Report
- San Francisco
- San Francisco, 2-4 Unit Buildings (through Q1 2023)
- San Francisco, 5+ Unit Apartment Buildings (through Q1 2023)
- San Mateo County
- Santa Clara County
- Stanford Circle Cities
- Marin County
- Sonoma County
- Napa County
- Oakland-Berkeley Inner East Bay
- Tri-Valley, South Alameda County
- Diablo Valley
- North Contra Costa County
- Sacramento County
- Placer County
- El Dorado County
- Lake Tahoe Market:
- Santa Cruz County
- Monterey County
- Bay Area Market Cycles since 1990
- Macroeconomic Factors
- Bay Area Population Change & Net Migration
- Bay Area County to County Migration
- Comparative Review of Bay Area Home Prices
Want to learn more about Bay Area market trends?
Let’s connect! With relationships and networks across the city, there are a variety of ways I can help you make informed real estate decisions. Call, email, or text – I’m here to help.